Cambodia's famed Angkor attracts almost 400,000 foreign tourists in Q1

Xinhua
02 Apr 2025

PHNOM PENH, April 2 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia's famed Angkor Archaeological Park welcomed 398,531 international visitors in the first quarter (Q1) of 2025, up 14.6 percent compared to the same period last year, park authorities said on Wednesday.

The ancient site made 18.7 million U.S. dollars in revenue from ticket sales during the January-March period this year, up 13.2 percent compared to the same period last year, said the state-owned Angkor Enterprise in a statement.

Located in northwest Siem Reap province, the UNESCO-listed Angkor Archaeological Park is home to 91 ancient temples, which were built from the ninth to the 13th centuries.

Thong Mengdavid, a lecturer at the Institute for International Studies and Public Policy of the Royal University of Phnom Penh, envisaged that the number of international tourists to Angkor would continue to rise in 2025, especially the tourists from China, as this year was designated as the Cambodia-China Tourism Year.

"I believe that there will be a high number of Chinese tourist arrivals to the centuries-old Angkor this year, driven by improved flight connectivity, China's robust economic growth, and growing interest in Cambodia's cultural and natural attractions," he told Xinhua.

Mengdavid said the Chinese-invested Siem Reap Angkor International Airport, the major gateway for international travelers to the Angkor, would definitely help attract more foreign travelers to the ancient park.

The 401-square-km Angkor park is the most popular tourist destination in the Southeast Asian country.